Manny Pacquiao has set a deadline of the end of this month to finally make a fight with Floyd Mayweather. It's been reported that Pacquiao has agreed to Floyd Mayweather's terms and has signed off on a contract to fight, but is still waiting for Floyd Mayweather to sign. Of course, Floyd just appeared on Shade 45 radio yesterday to say that no agreement has been reached yet, and that Pacquaio isn't in a position to agree to any terms since he's not his own boss (a partially true statement, but one that is really an absurd notion to still be throwing around).
"Do I want to fight Pacquiao? Absolutely! Are we negotiating? Absolutely! But has the fight been made? Not at all...Hopefully it's. Of course we're trying to make the fight happen between me and Pacquiao. Are we negotiating? Absolutely we are negotiating. But Pacquiao said that he agreed to everything. What did you agree to? You have no say so. You have a boss. That's called Top Rank Promotions. That's not called Pacquiao Promotion," said Mayweather.
"My contract is up at 49-0, because I truly believe that I'm going to win my next two bouts, because I believe in myself and I believe in my skills....We're going to make it happen, though. We're trying, but it's been extremely difficult dealing with Top Rank. I don't want to sit right hear and point the finger at Pacquiao and say that it's him, because it's not Pacquiao. It's his promoter. So lot of times when Pacquiao says, ‘I agree,' you don't have nothing to do with this. You're not a boss. On the chessboard, you're a pawn...They want to point the finger at the other guy, which is me."
Sure, Pacquiao can't make unilateral decisions to fight anyone as Top Rank has him under contract, but Manny is a legitimate worldwide star who has plenty of leverage to make the fights he wants happen. So - this is pretty much just tired rhetoric coming from Floyd. He's going to move at his own pace and sign a contract if and when he chooses to, mostly as a show of force and superiority. He said some more things during the interview, but nothing we haven't heard from him a hundred times before, and thus it's not even worth mentioning here.
Michael Koncz, Pacquaio's adviser, had a conversation with RingTV yesterday to elaborate on the current situation and where Pacquiao could possibly go if these negotiations fall through.
"I truly don't believe that Floyd is going to step up to the plate and fight us because he doesn't give two s-ts about his fans," Koncz told RingTV.com. "We're not going to sit around waiting for him. We haven't closed the door on it, but we're not going to sit around waiting, so we're looking at other options.
"That includes Amir. I've spoken to Amir on a couple of occasions, and Golden Boy has talked to him, too, I talked to Amir directly before [Golden Boy Promotions President] Oscar [De La Hoya] and [Top Rank CEO] Bob [Arum] got involved. We're not going to sit around with our hands up our butts."
Koncz, however, wanted to be particularly clear that just because they are looking at other options, doesn't mean that they've closed the door on Mayweather negotiations.
"But just because we're looking at other options doesn't mean that we've slammed the door on Floyd either. But I'm not very optimistic that he's going to step up to the plate. We're going to fight in April or May, regardless of whether it's Floyd or somebody else," said Koncz.
"We're not going to sit around and let our world revolve around Floyd waiting for him to make a decision. We hope that he does the right thing and gives the fans what they want and see who the No. 1 fighter is, pound-for-pound. But I think that the only way to force that fight is that the fans are going to have to force it. We can't do any more."
A couple of quick thoughts. As much as I don't care for Floyd's rationale here, there does seem to be at least some credence to Floyd's belief that Pacquiao's side has been a little disingenuous with the public. I mean, if they are still negotiating some terms for the fight, I cannot see how Pacquiao's side could have already sent Floyd a signed contract for the fight. If ALL the terms haven't been agreed to as of yet, it seems unlikely that there could be a signed contract from either side, being that the terms still being negotiated would need to be - you know - actually written in that contract. Really, the only good news about this whole thing is that we should know within the next week or so if this thing is actually going to happen or not - and then we can move on with our lives...