clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

IBF orders Froch-DeGale

Carl Froch has been ordered by the IBF to begin negotiations to fight mandatory challenger, James DeGale.

Paul Thomas/Getty Images
Wil Esco is an assistant editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2014.

The IBF chairman, Lindsey Tucker, said the organization wants its mandatory defense for its super-middleweight title to be enforced. They have ordered Carl Froch to begin negotiations with James DeGale to make it happen.

"The letter went out on Dec. 31, 2014," said Tucker. "They have 30 days to negotiate."

Should they not be able to come to terms within 30 days, the bout will go to purse bid, with the minimum purse being $100K, and 75% of that going to Froch who is the current champion. This could be an okay fight but doesn't really move the needle for me, personally, and probably not for many others as well. It also doesn't seem like the fight that Froch was really looking for at the moment, particularly since this isn't the big-money Las Vegas fight that Froch has been hoping for.

Froch has previously intimated that he either wanted a big fight in Vegas or that he would likely hang up the gloves. I suppose now we'll see how serious he was about this statement. Do you guys see Froch taking this fight, retiring, or vacating the title while looking elsewhere for a payday?

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook