Nicholas Walters has been out of action since June when he failed to make weight for his featherweight title defense against Miguel Marriaga, causing him to be stripped of his world title. Since then, "The Axe Man" has been eager to get back in the ring and put on a show, even if his body forced him to move up to 130lbs.
Now, officially debuting as a junior lightweight, Walters (26-0, 21 KOs) will be taking on Jason Sosa (18-1-3, 14 KOs) in a 10-rounder that will be featured on HBO's Boxing After Dark on December 19 in Verona, NY. The main event will feature heavyweights Bryant Jennings and Luis Ortiz going head-to-head.
"I am training hard in Panama," said Walters, who has scored 11 knockouts in his past 13 victories, including against Nonito Donaire 11 months ago. "I know how important this fight is and I will be in optimum physical condition. My team has been studying video of my opponent Sosa. I cannot wait to leave Panama, get into Verona, New York, and get inside the ring. Boxing is my passion."
Jason Sosa, from the tough area of Camden, NJ, is currently riding a 13-fight knockout streak and believes he's fully prepared for the battle in front of him, despite going up against the best opponent of his career.
"[Walters] is a very strong fighter and the toughest opponent that I have faced," Sosa said. "But I am up for the challenge. I have a great team and they are getting me in the best shape of my life and making sure that I am mentally and physically ready to come away with the win. I am sure we are both ready for war and fans are not going to want to miss this."
Top Rank's Carl Moretti believes this fight has all the makings of a Fight of the Year candidate, suggesting that a perfect storm is brewing between both men. We'll see on fight night if the bout can live up to his expectations.