As previously reported, Vyacheslav Glazkov and Charles Martin will square off for the vacant IBF heavyweight title on January 16, part a night of heavyweight action from Brooklyn, televised by Showtime. Both fighters are looking forward to the bout, the first world title opportunity for either man.
Martin (22-0-1, 20 KO) is a 29-year-old prospect, a 6'5" southpaw taking a nice step up in class on paper.
"I'm feeling really blessed to get this opportunity," said Martin. "I want to become a world champion so I can go down in history as a top heavyweight. Glazkov is a great fighter. He's undefeated, so I know it's going to be a tough fight, but I'm coming in to be victorious. I'm getting ready and training hard so I can go out there and get that win."
Glazkov (21-0-1, 13 KO) was previously in negotiations to face WBC titleholder Deontay Wilder in the main event of this show, but his promoters at Main Events decided to pull back from that when the IBF belt -- for which Glazkov was mandatory challenger -- was stripped from Tyson Fury.
Warriors Boxing, supported by Al Haymon, won a purse bid for this fight, which resulted in its placement back on this card.
"I am looking forward to getting back in the ring and finally getting my opportunity to fight for a world title," said Glazkov. "I want to thank everyone who helped me get to this place in my career."
"What would have been the first heavyweight title fight in Brooklyn in 115 years [Wilder-Artur Szpilka] is now one of the first two," promoter Lou DiBella said. "Martin versus Glazkov should be an extremely competitive fight and fans will be treated to the rarity of being able to see two world heavyweight championship fights on the same card.."