clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Andre Ward open to Carl Froch rematch in United Kingdom

Carl Froch may get a chance to rematch Andre Ward, as Ward says he's willing to go anywhere in the UK except for Froch's hometown of Nottingham.

Ed Mulholland-USA TODAY Sports
Scott Christ is the managing editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2006.

Andre Ward hasn't fought since 2013, and the reigning super middleweight champion (in recess?) may be getting a little low on options, as he tells Sky Sports that he's willing to travel to the United Kingdom to face Carl Froch in a rematch of their 2011 battle.

Ward, 31, has in the past been reported to have ruled out going to the UK to face Froch in a second bout, but says that he only ruled out fighting Froch in Nottingham, which is Carl's hometown. He says he still won't do that, but the rest of the United Kingdom is fair game:

"The UK is one thing, Nottingham is something different. Now he's saying ‘well, I came to America, now you need to come to Nottingham'. The thing is this: Atlantic City, where we fought the finals of the Super Six, it's thousands of miles away from my home - that's a road fight. I live on the west coast, the fight was on the east coast, which was a six-hour plane ride for me.

"I'm not willing to come to Nottingham, I don't think I should have to, but Wembley Stadium, the UK as a whole - I would love to come."

Ward (27-0, 14 KO) won the Super Six World Boxing Classic with his victory over Froch in December 2011, but has fought just twice since then, beating Chad Dawson in September 2012 and Edwin Rodriguez in November 2013. He sat out last year in a dispute with his promoter, the late Dan Goossen, and recently signed with Roc Nation Sports. He has worked as a commentator for HBO frequently, as well.

Froch (33-2, 24 KO) has claimed the spot as the world's top active super middleweight in Ward's absence, going 5-0 since his loss to the unbeaten American, beating Lucian Bute, Yusaf Mack, Mikkel Kessler, and George Groves (twice). Froch last fought in May 2014, and recently had to scrap a training camp because of an injury. At 37, he's looking to take only the biggest money fights, and recently vacated the title of the IBF, which would have ordered him to face James DeGale.

Is the time right for this fight? Froch's most notable rumor since the Groves fight has been a bout with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, but Chavez is fighting Andrzej Fonfara on April 18, and who knows what his plans will be after that? Froch has always downplayed the idea of fighting Ward again, but the money and Ward's willingness to travel for the bout may change that. Do you want to see it?

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook