clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

WBA orders purse bid for Golovkin-Jacobs fight

With the WBA’s deadline having come and gone, the sanctioning body was forced to ordered a purse bid on Dec. 19.

Boxing at O2 Arena Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Wil Esco is an assistant editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2014.

Gennady Golovkin and Daniel Jacobs have still not come to terms for mandatory title fight, which has now caused the WBA to formally order another purse bid for the fight on Dec. 19 at their offices in Panama City, Panama, reports RingTV. The WBA had already pushed back holding a purse bid for the fight to allow both sides more time to negotiate, but obviously that hasn’t really gone anywhere.

With that being said, there is still a time for the sides to come to an agreement before Dec. 19, although that is looking increasingly unlikely by now. Once the fight reaches purse bid, Gennady Golovkin will command 75% of the winning bid by virtue of being the “super” champion while Daniel Jacobs would be entitled to the remaining 25%.

The promoter who wins the purse bid will gain control over the fight, specifically the fight’s location, broadcast network, etc.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook