A guaranteed all-action fight between WBC super featherweight titleholder Francisco Vargas and veteran brawler Orlando Salido is nearly set for June 4 at the magical StubHub Center in Carson, California, according to Lance Pugmire of the LA Times. Pugmire spoke with Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions at tonight's Golden Boy show at Belasco Theater in Los Angeles:
"This is what StubHub was made for," @OscarDeLaHoya says of Vargas-Salido...— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) February 20, 2016
Vargas (23-0-1, 17 KO) has yet to sign the contract for the fight, which is said to be the only hold-up as of now, but he is expected to do so. He's coming off of a Fight of the Year victory over Takashi Miura on November 21, where he won his 130-pound title in a brilliant, bloody instant classic.
Salido (43-13-3, 30 KO) had two Fight of the Year contenders last year, both against Rocky Martinez. He lost to Martinez in April, then fought to a draw with him in a September rematch.
TV details haven't been stated, but one figures the fight would be on HBO.