Zab Judah, 38, had been hoping to make his ring return as he's two years removed from his last fight. It looks like that time will be lengthened indefinitely after the Nevada State Athletic Commission upheld the suspensions of both Judah and promoter Roy Englebrecht for falsifying documents ahead of his previously scheduled March 12 fight. The fight had been canceled after the issues with the documents revealed itself to the commission.
As it turns out, Judah had specified on on his license application with the commission that he had no liens against him despite owing more than $240,000 in back child support, according to the Las Vegas Review Journal (who cited figures from the New York Department of Social Services). Even more disturbing was that the questionnaire portion of the application wasn't completed by Judah, it was completed by his new promoter Roy Englebrecht without Judah being aware.
"I didn't even know he did what he did," Judah said on Wednesday, according to the Las Vegas Review Journal. "It's crazy."
Englebrecht took responsibility for his actions to the commission, offering the following statement:
"I accept full and complete responsibility for my actions," he said. "I am truly sorry. But nothing I can say today can change the mistake I made or lessen the pain and shame I have in my heart. I made a mistake. It was poor judgment on my part. It was not intentional. It was not premeditated. I was not trying to deceive anyone. I feel I'm a true fight promoter. I'm 70 years old. And I hope that you would take into consideration my full body of work over the last 31 years and not this one incident."
Caroline Bateman, the Nevada deputy attorney general, did advocate that since Judah didn't reveal his back child support on his application, that his suspension should be still be continued. Judah's attorney, Jay Brown, pleaded with the commission to allow Judah to continue fighting, citing that boxing was Judah's sole source of income. The commission denied the request.
Both Judah and Englebrecht will now have another disciplinary hearing with the commission, expected to take place in May.