Showtime is celebrating its 30th year of championship boxing broadcasts throughout all of 2016, and this month has been designated as Legends Month, with several classic fights featuring some of the biggest stars in SHO boxing history set to air all month long, on Thursdays, on SHO Extreme.
The coverage starts tonight with the 1991 fight between "Terrible" Terry Norris and Sugar Ray Leonard, at 10:00 pm EST.
Showtime analyst and boxing historian Steve Farhood remembers the fight:
"Leonard's appearance on Showtime was the penultimate bout of his career. In electing to end yet another lengthy layoff, Sugar Ray, 34, chose outstanding 23-year-old super welterweight titlist Terry Norris as his opponent. Leonard dropped from 160 to 154 pounds and fought at Madison Square Garden for the first time. The bout served as a reminder that at least in a pre-Bernard Hopkins world, boxing was very much a young man's game."
Here's a full listing of what you'll be able to see on the "Throwback Thursday" broadcasts, all starting at 10 EST, 7 PST.
- Thursday, March 3: Terry Norris vs. Sugar Ray Leonard
- Thursday, March 10: Marvin Hagler vs. John Mugabi
- Thursday, March 17: Felix Trinidad vs. David Reid
- Thursday, March 24: Ricardo Lopez vs. Rosendo Alvarez II
- Thursday, March 31: Iran Barkley vs. Thomas Hearns I, George Foreman vs. Gerry Cooney, Gerald McClellan vs. Julian Jackson I
All of the fights will also be available on Showtime On Demand, Showtime Anytime, and the standalone Showtime streaming service.