clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Francisco Vargas issued temporary license by California commission

Francisco Vargas vs Orlando Salido is still on, with Vargas being given "the benefit of the doubt one time."

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
Scott Christ is the managing editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2006.

Despite failing a drug test in advance of his June 4 fight with Orlando Salido, Francisco "Bandido" Vargas has been issued a temporary license by the California State Athletic Commission, and the HBO main event is still on for now, with Vargas now being forced to pay for "even more rigorous, random blood and urine testing" than the VADA program that he requested for this fight.

Andy Foster, the executive officer of the commission, said that they "put stock in the fact that (Vargas) asked for VADA," and are, for now, willing to believe that the failed test was due to contamination, likely from beef eaten while Vargas was in Mexico. He has now moved his camp to the United States.

"Mr. Vargas tested negative in California six days before he tested positive in Mexico," Foster said. "I was told it was a very, very low amount, but it was flagged. There have been a lot of athletes from Mexico that have had problems with that substance, so what we're going to do is give him the benefit of the doubt one time."

Vargas must pass all tests before the fight in order for it to go on as planned at the StubHub Center in Carson.

As for Salido, he says he's just going to keep preparing for the fight as he had been, and his team are on board with the efforts to keep the fight from being canceled, under the new conditions set for drug testing.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook