clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Dillian Whyte signs with Matchroom, returns on June 25

Dillian Whyte has joined the Matchroom Boxing team and will fight again next month.

Harry Engels/Getty Images

Dillian Whyte, the British heavyweight fighter who took Anthony Joshua deeper than anyone else has in a loss late last year, has signed a contract with Matchroom Boxing, and will return on the Joshua-Breazeale card on June 25 at the O2 Arena in London.

"I'm excited to team up with Matchroom and Sky Sports and can't wait to return to the ring on June 25 back at The O2," said Whyte in a Matchroom press release. "The heavyweight division is alive and I want a piece of it - we want that British title and then a shot at the World title. I always come to fight, will take on anyone and always give the fans excitement."

Whyte (16-1, 13 KO) is a promising fighter in his own right, 28 years old and fresh in a division where good fighters can age very well. He pushed Joshua into the seventh round before being stopped on December 12, over two times as long as any of Joshua's other 15 fights have lasted thus far in the pro ranks.

"I'm delighted to welcome Dillian to the team and I look forward to making some exciting Heavyweight fights with him in the very near future," said promoter Eddie Hearn. "Dillian was part of one of the most exciting bouts in recent heavyweight times on December 12 against Anthony and is now one of the most high profile fighters in the UK. We are looking forward to challenging for the British title in the summer and I'm confident he will be a real player in the heavyweight division."