With the surprise announcement on Friday that Gennady Golovkin will face Kell Brook on September 10, the question most wondered was, what happened to the fight between Golovkin and Chris Eubank Jr? It's going to take time to really sort it all out -- Eubank Jr says he was never shown a contract -- but Matchroom Boxing's Eddie Hearn is blaming the fighter's father for costing his son the opportunity.
Hearn says that Eubank wanted "full operational control of the promotion," even up to demanding certain announcers for the fight from Sky Sports. The promoter also says that he gave the Eubank side 24 hours to sign the deal, and they did not, so he offered the same deal instead to Brook, who accepted the fight.
Hearn is careful to add that he feels Eubank Jr "genuinely wanted the fight":
"I feel for Eubank Jr. because I don't think he knows what's going on and he was going to earn three or five million pounds. They have to understand that it's not playing a game.
"Chris Eubank Jr. hasn't made one decision, he doesn't breathe without his dad's say so. All the negotiations were done with Chris Eubank Sr. and the lawyer."
Eubank Jr (23-1, 18 KO) how sits in a somewhat uncertain spot, career-wise, and it will be interesting to see what happens from here. He signed a new deal with Matchroom Boxing earlier this year, but he's been with and left that company before, too. The biggest available fight for him is obviously a rematch with rival Billy Joe Saunders, who is promoted by Frank Warren, but whether or not that can happen is another story.