clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Luis Ortiz-Alexander Ustinov may land on Kovalev-Ward undercard

After getting into a purse dispute with Golden Boy, Luis Ortiz may end up taking on Alexander Ustinov on the Kovalev-Ward undercard instead of the Canelo-Smith card.

Patrick Smith/Getty Images
Wil Esco is an assistant editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2014.

It's purse bid season for the WBA as a couple of fights were just auctioned off at their headquarters in Panama City, as reported by ESPN.

To begin, interim heavyweight titlist Luis "King Kong" Ortiz had been scheduled to take on Alexander Ustinov in a mandatory fight at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, which would have appeared on the Canelo Alvarez-Liam Smith undercard. However, after getting into a dispute with Golden Boy Promotions over his purse, Ortiz pulled out of the fight which forced the bout to purse bid.

During the purse bid, Andrey Ryabinsky's World of Boxing would end up being the only bidder for Ortiz-Ustinov, winning the right to put on the fight for the minimum bid of $600,000. Ortiz will be entitled to 60% of the bid, marking his purse at $360,000, while Ustinov will be entitled to the remaining $240,000. And since Golden Boy did not even make a bid for the fight, it seems that Ortiz and his promoter are now working on an agreement to part ways.

Vlad Hrunov, who was bidding on behalf of Ryabinsky, is now saying that Ortiz-Ustinov has a good chance of landing at the T-Mobile Arena for the HBO PPV card headlined by Sergey Kovalev vs. Andre Ward this November, which would make for a damn good addition to the card.

Meanwhile, Sauerland Event, who promotes Jack Culcay, won the purse bid for Culcay's ordered fight against Demetrius Andrade. Their bid of $425,000 easily eclipsed the only offer of $201,000 made by Artie Pelullo of Banner Promotions, who co-promotes Andrade. Culcay will be entitled to 75% of the winning bid, $318,750, while Andrade will get the remaining 25% ($106,250).

Don Majeski, bidding on behalf of Sauerland Event, says Culcay-Andrade will be held in late October or early November in Germany.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook