Ireland’s super bantamweight prospect Michael Conlan improved to 2-0 as a professional on Friday night in Chicago, stopping Alfredo Chanez in the third round at the UIC Pavilion.
Conlan (2-0, 2 KO) is now looking ahead to a fight in Australia, as he’s slated to join the Manny Pacquiao-Jeff Horn undercard on July 2 in Brisbane. Here are some highlights from Friday’s fight:
The 25-year-old Conlan, who won bronze at London 2012, has looked sharp in both of his pro fights, though admittedly against predictably soft opposition, and he says he wants to step it up in fight No. 3:
"I'm not very happy with my performance tonight, but it is what it is, and we got the victory. This is all part of the process. Next up is Brisbane, Australia. I hope they're ready for the 'Conlan Revolution.' For my next fight, I want a better opponent, one that is going to challenge me and that is a real threat. I think with a better opponent I'm going to show what I'm made of and what I can do."
Still, it would be wise not to expect much more than what he’s faced so far, either, where promoters are hoping that a sizable Irish community — including members of Conlan’s family — will further help the draw at Suncorp Stadium.
Also in action on Friday night was Mike Alvarado, the 36-year-old veteran welterweight from Colorado, who easily handled Matthew Strode in two rounds. Alvarado (37-4, 25 KO) has now won three straight since coming back to the sport, saying he’s rededicated to boxing, with his personal demons in his past.
Alvarado says he wants another crack at a world title, and if he’s going to get one, the time is probably as right as it’s going to get. He’s not getting any younger, after all. The bigger problem is that the champions at 147 — Pacquiao (WBO), Keith Thurman (WBC and WBA), and the winner of Saturday’s Kell Brook-Errol Spence Jr fight (IBF) — are all very tall tasks for “Mile High Mike.”
Here’s a look at Alvarado’s Friday night win: