Following Saturday’s dud of a fight between Canelo Alvarez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., there was at least one silver lining in that a September fight between Canelo and Gennady Golovkin was finally announced.
Golovkin, who traveled to Vegas to watch the fight in person, admits to the LA Times that he was actually a little hesitant to make the trip as he didn’t expect much of a competitive match-up to begin with.
“I watch boxing closely. I knew Canelo was going to beat Chavez easy, and I thought he was going to get up there after what he did last year and make another scene, say something like, ‘I did this to Chavez, and I’ll do the same thing to you, Triple-G,’” Golovkin said.
Canelo didn’t say those word exactly, but he did tell Golovkin that he was up next. That was enough to make Golovkin’s day after watching a “big event” that ultimately stunk to high heaven.
“[Saturday] was a little boring, like sparring. Canelo doesn’t want [to finish],” Golovkin said. “That’s not good for the people. A lot of people bought tickets and the pay-per-view. For what? For a show. Everybody likes drama, like my knockouts. If I see I can beat them, I do.”
Even Golden Boy promoter Oscar De La Hoya was a little perplexed by how the Canelo-Chavez fight played out, saying it was unfathomable to him that the noticeably larger fighter in Chavez Jr. would allow himself to be bullied from pillar to post for 12 rounds of action. But that’s what we all witnessed anyway.
The good news for fans, though, is that the Canelo-GGG fight can’t possibly be worse that what we just saw. So it’s all uphill from here. Rejoice!