According to WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman, the sanctioning body is going to order a welterweight interim title fight between Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter — assuming Porter beats Thomas Dulorme on August 26.
"Yes there is the issue that Porter is going to have a fight in a few days with Dulorme, but if he wins we’re going to order the fight for the interim title with Danny Garcia," said Sulaiman.
Sulaiman says the organization has come to this decision because its current world titleholder, Keith Thurman, is sitting out with an elbow injury until early next year. Thurman was also recently married and has been vacationing as he recovers.
Danny Garcia is coming off his first defeat where he lost the WBC world title to Thurman in March. Porter, who had already won a final eliminator against Andre Berto to become Thurman’s mandatory challenger in April, will apparently have to win at least one more before getting his second shot at Thurman — although he does seem amenable to the idea. Porter also lost to Thurman in one of the most rousing fights of 2016, and has since been very vocal about wanting a rematch.