clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Errol Spence set to defend title against Carlos Ocampo on June 16

Spence and Ocampo struck a deal prior to their scheduled purse bid.

Errol Spence v Lamont Peterson Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images
Wil Esco is an assistant editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2014.

IBF welterweight titleholder Errol Spence Jr. (23-0, 20 KOs) has struck a deal to face mandatory challenger Carlos Ocampo (22-0, 13 KOs) on June 16, just over a week before the IBF’s mandated purse bid for the fight.

Had the fight had actually gone to purse bid, Spence would’ve been entitled to 85% of the winning bid, with Ocampo to get the remaining 15%, but with the fighters agreeing to terms, the IBF has canceled the need for a purse bid.

ESPN reports that the fight will be held at a venue to be determined in Spence’s backyard, Dallas, TX.

Spence, 28, is most recently coming off a dominant performance over Lamont Peterson last month in Brooklyn. Meanwhile Ocampo hasn’t faced anyone near the level of Sepnce through his 22 professional fights. This will be a huge step up for him after coming off a stoppage win over Dario Ferman last November.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook