Conor Benn (11-0, 8 KOs), a welterweight prospect and son of former British fighter Nigel Benn, has just inked a contract extension with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing, according to an ESPN report. The terms of the extension are for two additional years for which Benn says he’s ecstatic. He’s expect to return on the undercard of Amir Khan vs. Phil Lo Greco set for April 21 in Liverpool.
“I can’t wait to get back out in action on the Khan undercard,” Benn said in a news release. “Liverpool is a great fighting city and I’m looking forward to fighting in front of such a knowledgeable fan base. I want to entertain the fans but I’m still a work in progress.”
Benn, 21, last fought against Cedrick Peynaud (5-5-3, 3 KOs) this past December where he was dropped twice in the opening round but managed to work his way back into the fight, beating Peynaud on points after six rounds of action.
“The Peynaud fight was a real learning curve but there was a lot of things that went wrong in camp to the last fight,” Benn said. “That aside, I had four great fights last year. I was flat on the night but I’ve learned a couple of lessons from the fight. One of which, I’ve got the will to win which, deep down, I didn’t know I had. A rematch is due. He’s deserved that and I’m sure it’ll happen this year and I’ll win it convincingly.”
As of yet there’s been no confirmation on who Benn will take on in this next spring outing, but he probably shouldn’t be struggling with low level fighters if he’s really going to make a name for himself in this sport and step out of his father’s shadow.