We were supposed to get it on May 5, then Canelo Alvarez failed drug tests and the fight was scrapped. It was expected then to happen on September 15, when Alvarez would be cleared from his suspension and ready to go.
Now, Mike Coppinger of The RING is reporting that the two sides have stalled out in negotiations, and that Golden Boy and Oscar De La Hoya are looking to move on to another opponent.
De La Hoya reportedly says that they’ll be contacting Daniel Jacobs, Billy Joe Saunders, Jermall Charlo, and ... Spike O’Sullivan. So one of those names is not quite like the others. It’s worth noting that O’Sullivan has this year said he was supposed to fight Alvarez in September, but that was before all the pre-May 5 drama went down.
Here’s part of what De La Hoya said, from Coppinger’s RING article:
“It’s clear to us that Golovkin doesn’t want to fight Canelo. It’s clear to us that after all the demands that they made, after Canelo having to do the hair follicle test, having to enroll in VADA, having to be tested by the Nevada State Athletic Commission randomly even before he was enrolled in VADA, it’s clear that GGG is afraid.”
Tom Loeffler, Golovkin’s promoter, denies that the fighter is “afraid,” of course, saying that Golovkin “wants to be fairly compensated” after making concessions for their first fight last year, and for the scheduled May rematch.
There’s plenty more from De La Hoya and Loeffler both, and it’s quite the spicy situation, so do read the full article at The RING. But Alvarez plans to fight on September 15, no matter who his opponent may be, and if the rematch with Golovkin doesn’t go down, then GGG will probably fight Sergiy Derevyanchenko, his IBF mandatory.