Unified heavyweight titleholder Anthony Joshua has scheduled his next two fights, although his opponents have yet to be set in stone. Matchroom Boxing has confirmed to ESPN that Joshua will hold his next two contests at Wembley Stadium in London on the dates of September 22 and April 13.
“I am returning to Wembley after two mega fights in Cardiff,” said Joshua. “I want to thank the supporters from Wales and Great Britain and also the people of London for patiently awaiting my return.”
Joshua last fought at Wembley in early 2017 when he took on Wladimir Klitschko in a massive fight that lived up to expectations. Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn says he’s looking forward to putting on more big events on the big stage.
“I’m extremely honoured to get the opportunity to promote two more shows at the national stadium and delighted for British fight fans that Anthony has made this commitment to them,” said promoter Eddie Hearn.
Joshua is currently expected to take on Alexander Povetkin in a mandatory title defense, but that fight has still not been officially signed despite the WBO’s 24 hour deadline last week. There are at least some rumors flying around that the delay is due to Joshua being unhappy with they way the Wilder negotiations came to a halt, with him preferring that over a Povetkin fight. But even if true, at this point it seems highly unlikely a Wilder fight gets made before the end of the year.