Tonight from Phoenix, Arizona, the much-discussed fight between Daniel Jacobs and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr will finally go down at Talking Stick Resort Arena, headlining a fight card that will stream live on DAZN.
Jacobs (35-3, 29 KO) is coming up from 160 to 168; or, well, it was meant to be 168, but Chavez (51-3-1, 33 KO) shocked the boxing world by not being able to make weight, so the fight was changed to a 173-pound catchweight at the last minute, which was a weight Chavez could make, while also forfeiting $1 million to keep the fight on.
Jacobs remains the big favorite according to the oddsmakers. About a month ago he was around -2500, which has slimmed to about -1485, but that’s still a clear line in his favor, and people betting on Chavez, who is around +785 as of this writing, seem likely to be wasting money. But you never know, I suppose. He might score his first good win in seven-and-a-half years.
The co-feature is easily the actual best matchup of the fight, pitting Julio Cesar Martinez (14-1, 11 KO) against Cristofer Rosales (29-4, 20 KO) for the vacant WBC flyweight title.
Martinez is favored around -350, with Rosales listed around +275.
Other fights on the card:
- Maurice Hooker (-740) vs Uriel Perez (+490)
- Liam Smith (-1980) vs Roberto Garcia (+990)
- Josh Kelly (-7630) vs Winston Campos (+1920)
- Daniyar Yeleussinov (-10800) vs Alan Sanchez (+2290)
- Gabriel Rosado (-1915) vs Humberto Gutierrez (+985)
- Reshat Mati (-8620) vs Rakim Johnson (+2255)
- Ray Ford (-8620) vs Francisco Muro (+2255)