Miss any boxing news yesterday? Let us catch you up!
We’ve got Canelo-Jacobs! ALL the Canelo-Jacobs! And plenty more is going on, too.
Have you yet heard that it’s Canelo-Jacobs fight week? Well, it is! People interested in these big fight weeks with boxing largely don’t seem to much care until fight day itself, which is pretty understandable, but for you diehards, we had the Grand Arrivals on Tuesday.
I’ve said a lot of good things about DAZN, but boy, they need to learn from this one, maybe take some notes from when Showtime was doing live coverage of the Grand Arrivals before fights. Even though I believe this is the dumbest event to stream live in all of fight week, other than maybe media workouts, if you’re going to do it, probably spend a few bucks to not have the background of every on-stage interview be confused people checking in to the hotel.
Anyway, what we learned from the Grand Arrivals:
- Promoter Eddie Hearn doesn’t care that DAZN want Canelo to win on Saturday and set up Canelo-GGG III this fall.
- Daniel Jacobs wants to win with no controversy, and believes he can KO Canelo.
- Canelo wants to fully unify a division with all four belts, something no Mexican boxer has done.
- Freddy Fonseca might be a nerd.
We also had a full preview of Canelo vs Jacobs, and Michael Woods spoke with Jacobs’ trainer Andre Rozier about preparations for Saturday. And the second episode of “40 Days” dropped, which you can watch in full right here.
Aside from Canelo-Jacobs, we also heard from Vasiliy Lomachenko on Tuesday, who has stern words (and a bit of a warning) for Teofimo Lopez, and talks about Gervonta Davis, Mikey Garcia, the WBC title situation at 135, and more.
- Another day passes and we still don’t have an official-official confirmation about Anthony Johsua’s June 1 opponent, which makes Barry Hearn a liar. I mean, everyone knows it’s going to be Andy Ruiz Jr, but we in the fine boxing media need those official press release quotes. Latest update from Big Ed Hearn is that we’re close to fully getting it done.
- New WBC super flyweight titleholder Juan Francisco Estrada says he’ll be back this summer. He’s planning to do it in Mexico, which would be his first fight in his home country since 2017.
- Tyson Fury says camp is going well, and he does look in good shape. He says he feels sorry for “poor old Tom Schwarz” on June 15. Most of us just feel bad about poor old Tom Schwarz.
- Gary Russell Jr laid out his tale of woe through the PBC channels, saying he fights so infrequently and so often against inferior opposition because nobody good will fight him.
- Steve Rolls says he’s one of boxing’s best-kept secrets. Hey, I hope so.
- A couple smaller televised/streamed fight announcements: Broadway Boxing is back on UFC Fight Pass on May 17, and MTK Global will have Tyrone McKenna vs Darragh Foley from Belfast on ESPN+ on June 21.
- A couple prospect signings: Top Rank has picked up welterweight Brian Mendoza, and Frank Warren has nabbed light heavyweight Kody Davies. Mendoza will fight on Saturday’s card in California, and Davies will be out on June 15’s Warrington-Galahad card.