clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Briedis vs Glowacki results: Mairis Briedis stops Krzysztof Glowacki in three rounds of chaos

I’m going to have a hard time explaining all of this...

World Boxing Super Series
Wil Esco is an assistant editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2014.

GOOD GOD, ALMIGHTY! We had a crazy one in the World Boxing Super Series semifinal between Mairis Briedis (26-1, 19 KOs) and Krzysztof Glowacki (31-2, 19 KOs). It was only three rounds of action, but a shit ton happened, making for an unexpected spectacle. Bear with me while I try to break it all down...

The fight started off pretty slow in the opening round, with not much clean punching from either fighter. Then, in the second round, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!

For starters, in the second round there was a sequence when Glowacki clearly punched Briedis behind the head, with Briedis retaliating with a deliberate elbow to Glowacki’s head. Glowacki appeared to want to play up the blow from Briedis a bit (although it was brutal), taking a tumble to the canvas and laying face down for good measure.

He ultimately sort of forced the referee to deduct a point from Briedis for the elbow. But this was only where things started going haywire...

When the referee started the action up again, Briedis immediately hit Glowacki with a right hook that put him down hard. Glowacki got up, and the bell rang ending the round, except neither fighter gave two fucks the round was over! They continued to slug it out well past the bell and referee Robert Byrd never intervened because he apparently couldn’t hear the bell ringing. I honestly don’t know how he didn’t hear the bell, I could hear it ringing clearly and continuously for what felt like a full 15 seconds. And as the fighters threw down well past the bell, Briedis would land another clean shot that would put Glowacki down again.

Glowacki’s corner was pissed, to say the least, because the knockdown was so long after the bell had rung, with a couple of their cornerman even jumping onto the ring to protest. But because the referee never stopped the action, he ruled the second knockdown as legitimate anyway. There would be serious confusion on what the fuck was actually going on and if the fight would have to be stopped, but they ultimately just decided to continue on as if nothing happened. Glowacki was still badly hurt, though, so to start the third round Briedis came right out and clipped Glowacki again, putting him down for good. The official stoppage came at 0:27 of Round 3.

In the post-fight interview Briedis was asked about the second round mayhem, and if he knew the round had ended when he and Glowacki went all rock ‘em sock ‘em after the bell. Briedis laughed and said he had in fact heard the bell ring, affirming that he just didn’t really care and wanted to thrown down, rules be damned.

Anyway, With the win Briedis will head to the tournament’s final match against Yuniel Dorticos, who also won tonight in the co-feature. But don’t be surprised if there’s some formal appeals filed after this fight, considering all the craziness of what transpired.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook