- Ferdinand Kerobyan TKO-2 Daniel Evangelista Jr (1:54)
- Emilio Sanchez UD-8 Jose Gonzalez (77-75, 77-75, 80-72)
- Bektemir Melikuziev KO-1 Adrian Luna (2:13)
Tonight at 10 pm ET streaming live on Facebook and RingTV, Golden Boy is back with a card from Pasadena, California, headlined by an 8-round junior middleweight fight between Ferdinand Kerobyan and late replacement opponent Daniel Evangelista Jr in a special Friday night edition of Golden Boy DAZN Thursday Night Fights. Yes, all of this is confusing — it’s not Thursday, it’s not on DAZN, I know. Just — I’m doing my best. There are links to watch. It’s not that hard.
Anyway, Kerobyan, 31, is coming off of a loss in March to Blair Cobbs, a close decision in a good fight. He was set to face Oscar Molina here, but Molina is out and Evangelista, a 29-year-old from Mexico who’s really a lightweight at best, is in. Evangelista last fought on May 16, losing via first round stoppage against Genaro Gamez in a 140-pound bout. That was his first fight in a year and a half.
In other words, being realistic, don’t expect much here.
In another eight-round bout, featherweight Emilio Sanchez will look for a third straight win against Jose Gonzalez, a young journeyman from Mexico who gave Manny Robles III a tough fight in November in a split decision loss, and went to a draw with Tino Avila in March.
Perhaps the best reason to tune in tonight is to see 23-year-old Uzbekistani light heavyweight prospect Bektemir Melikuziev, who won silver at the 2016 Olympics as a middleweight, losing to Cuba’s Arlen Lopez in the final. In his second pro fight, he’ll be facing veteran Adrian Luna, who has in recent years been called on to test a few good prospects, such as Ryota Murata, D’Mitrius Ballard, and Erik Bazinyan.
No one’s trying to convince you this is the best card, and obviously it’s a Friday night, but hey, we’ll be here, so if you’re around and up for some fights, join in!
- Ferdinand Kerobyan (11-1, 6 KO) vs Daniel Evangelista Jr (20-10-2, 16 KO), junior middleweights, 8 rounds
- Emilio Sanchez (17-1, 11 KO) vs Jose Gonzalez (23-7-1, 13 KO), featherweights, 8 rounds
- Bektemier Melikuziev (1-0, 1 KO) vs Adrian Luna (22-6-1, 14 KO), light heavyweights, 8 rounds