Devin Haney did the business once again tonight in New York, dominating and stopping Zaur Abdullaev after four rounds of one-sided action at Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden.
Haney (23-0, 15 KO) turns 21 in November, and while you can say he’s been smartly managed and matched so far in his career, the fact is that Abdullaev was seen as a legitimate opponent, himself an unbeaten prospect, and the Russian was just totally overmatched. Haney’s speed and power were too much for Abdullaev (11-1, 7 KO), and the fight was stopped after the fourth round, with Abdullaev possibly suffering a fractured cheekbone.
Haney was happy with the performance, as you’d expect.
“I was just warming up, but I’m happy with the performance and happy with the win, and I’m grateful to be interim WBC champion,” he said.
Asked if he wanted to fight full WBC titleholder Vasiliy Lomachenko, Haney said he does, but he doesn’t sound like he expects it to happen.
“It’s ‘Nomachenko,’ because he doesn’t want to fight me,” he said. “I think I’m ready for the fight. ‘Nomachenko,’ come on, man, let’s get it going. If I’m so easy, Lomachenko should just fight me and get me out of the way.”
It has to be noted that Lomachenko has three of the four major titles at 135, and his big goal is to unify all four. The fourth belt is held by Richard Commey, who faces mandatory challenger Teofimo Lopez in December. Lomachenko, Commey, and Lopez all fight for Top Rank, while Haney obviously does not.
For now, Haney is looking to make a quick turnaround. There was talk of him returning on the Nov. 9 gimmick show in Los Angeles headlined by the KSI vs Logan Paul fight, and that seems to still be the plan, so we should see Devin back soon.