Unbeaten 22-year-old welterweight prospect Jaron “Boots” Ennis will return to action on Saturday, Oct. 5, as he faces ARgentina’s Demian Daniel Fernandez on the Shields-Habazin undercard from Flint, Michigan.
Ennis (23-0, 21 KO) is a legitimate top prospect at 147 pounds, a 5’10” fighter with flashy speed and power out of Philadelphia, who was rising fast as of last year before a promotional dispute kept him out of action from Nov. 2018 until Aug. 23 of this year, where he returned in Oklahoma to stop Franklin Mamani after one round.
That fight wasn’t televised, but this one will be.
“I’m really excited to be on this show for my first big fight of 2019,” Ennis said. “I want to thank Stephen Espinoza and everyone at Showtime for the opportunity. I’m looking forward to reminding everybody who I am and what I’m capable of doing. We have big plans for the future, but the first step is a statement win on Oct. 5.”
Fernandez (12-1, 5 KO) is a 30-year-old fighter who turned pro in 2014, losing his fourth bout that year, but he’s won nine straight since against extremely limited competition. He did make his US debut on Aug. 10 in Detroit, winning a 10-round decision over club fighter Andre Byrd, a durable guy who’s been used as a prospect checker this year in particular.
“This will be my second fight in the US and I’m excited to show I’m ready for the spotlight,” said Fernandez. “I would like to thank my promoter, Dequan with CMC Promotions, for giving me this opportunity. I know I’m the underdog but I want the fans to know I am coming to knock him out. Vamonos!”