clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Joet Gonzalez re-signs with Golden Boy ahead of world title fight

New, comment

The featherweight prospect is out next on Oct. 26.

Ryan Garcia v Jose Lopez: Weigh-in Photo By Tom Hogan/Golden Boy/Getty Images

Featherweight prospect and rising contender Joet Gonzalez has signed a new deal with Golden Boy Promotions ahead of his first world title fight, which is coming on Oct. 26 against Shakur Stevenson, for the vacant WBO 126-pound title.

Gonzalez (23-0, 14 KO) has been one of Golden Boy’s better prospects in recent years, and over the last year and change has picked up a series of solid wins over Rafael Rivera, Rodrigo Guerrero, and Manuel “Tino” Avila.

“The relationship between a boxer, a manager and a promoter is a partnership,” said Gonzalez. “I built and developed my career with Golden Boy, and now that I am fighting for a world title, I want to show everyone that we are in this together as I take the next step in my career. I want to thank my manager, Frank Espinoza, along with everyone at Golden Boy. This Oct. 26 I will bring a world title back home.”

“Joet Gonzalez is one of the most talented and toughest fighters to come out of Southern California in recent years,” said Golden Boy’s Oscar De La Hoya. “When we first signed him, he was an undefeated prospect who showed lots of promise, especially because of his amateur background. During the past years he has become the best featherweight contender in the world, and I’m proud to continue promoting him as enters the next level of his career. Joet Gonzalez will become champion on Oct. 26, and I’m confident he will conquer the division.”

Gonzalez’s fight with Stevenson will headline a Top Rank show on ESPN+ from Reno, Nevada.