Jamel Herring’s July 2nd ESPN main event, presumably opposite Jonathan Oquendo, looks as though it will be boxing’s first post-quarantine title fight. The second is currently in the works, as Junto Nakatani and Giemel Magramo are looking to square off for the vacant WBO flyweight belt on July 4th.
The fight, first scheduled for April 4th, is expected to land at Korakuen Hall with a limited audience, though The Ring reports that there are still some hurdles to clear.
Liza Elorde says that, even with a signed contract, there are still plenty of issues to figure out. The Japanese Embassy in the Philippines, where visa applications are handled, has been closed, but is expected to reopen by June 1. Under normal circumstances, a visa can be processed within 3-4 days. Then there’s the question of whether they will be able to get to Tokyo.
“Airlines said you can book [flights] but we’re not really sure whether you can go on that day,” said Liza Elorde, who plans to arrive in Tokyo on June 26, to allow Magramo to acclimate. And then, upon arrival, would the team have to undergo mandatory quarantine? She says a copy of the contract has been forwarded to the Games and Amusements Board, which regulates pro boxing in the Philippines and issues approvals for fighters heading abroad, but has yet to hear back.
The 22-year-old Nakatani (20-0, 15 KO) is yet another young Japanese standout in the lower weights, notably stopping former champion Milan Melindo in October. Magramo (24-1, 20 KO), Melindo’s countryman, has knocked out seven straight since a decision loss to Muhammad Waseem, chief among them previously unbeaten Wenfeng Ge. BoxRec has them ranked #4 and #6, respectively, and the winner will receive the WBO belt Kosei Tanaka vacated in his move to 115 pounds.
In short, this is a real nice fight.