clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Nevada commission satisfied with Top Rank’s safety plan

Although not fully complete, the commission says Top Rank has a ‘comprehensive plan’ to deal with COVID-19.

Gennady Golovkin v Canelo Alvarez - News Conference Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images

During a telephonic meeting held on Wednesday the Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously to approve two UFC cards which will be held in Las Vegas over the next couple of weeks, as well as a couple Top Rank boxing cards set to be held next month as well (without an audience, of course).

Top Rank’s scheduled boxing cards in Vegas will reportedly begin with a June 9th card at the MGM Grand, headlined by Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo with the chief support being Michaela Mayer vs. Helen Joseph. And although Top Rank has yet to put the finishing touches on their safety plan to deal with COVID-19, NSAC executive director Bob Bennett is satisfied with what they have so far.

“I’ve reviewed their operations plan,” Bennett said. “They’re still in the process of completing it. It’s very comprehensive. We’re moving in the right direction. I’m pleased to see we’re working in concert with a closed-system event and I expect it to be very successful.”

Most of the safety protocols include what you might already expect, including testing, pre-fight quarantine, masks, and contact tracing among some others precautions. But to this point the Nevada commission hasn’t discussed any other combat sporting events taking place within their state, saying their decision to approve events will remain fluid throughout this pandemic.