clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Gervonta Davis vs Isaac Cruz official for December 5th in Los Angeles

Cruz steps in for Rolando Romero, who withdrew in the face of multiple sexual assault allegations

https://twitter.com/MayweatherPromo/status/1455994084485570564

Make that two quick confirmations.

Mayweather Promotions and Showtime have officially announced that Gervonta Davis, who was previously slated to face Rolando Romero before multiple women accused “Rolly” of sexual assault, will now face power-punching contender Isaac Cruz atop a December 5th Showtime PPV at Los Angeles’ Staples Center.

Cruz (22-1-1, 15 KO) sits at No. 2 in the IBF lightweight rankings, though he’d have to wait a long, long while for a mandatory shot at the winner of Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos Jr. this month. “Pitbull” enjoyed a breakout 2020 with wins over Thomas Mattice and Diego Magdaleno, then claimed decisions over Matias Romero and Francisco Vargas during his 2021 campaign. He’s rough, he’s mean, and he’ll unquestionably bring the fight to Davis (25-0, 24 KO) for every minute he stays conscious.

Seeing as Cruz is undersized for the weight and Davis blew up a reasonably large 140-pounder last time out, that may not be long. It’ll be a hell of a lot of fun while it lasts, though.

“I respect Isaac Cruz for stepping up and taking the fight, but everyone knows what I do,” said Davis. “I come in looking for the knockout and that’s exactly what I’m going to do in this fight. I’m back in Los Angeles where the stars shine and I’m going to light it up against Isaac Cruz.’’

“First I want to thank Gervonta Davis and his team for this opportunity – an opportunity I won’t let get past me,’’ Cruz said. “God willing I’ll be world champion. This fight is a very big motivation for me as a professional and as a personal goal. I’m sure after December 5 everyone in boxing will know the name Isaac ‘Pitbull’ Cruz.’’