Today at 11 am ET streaming live on ESPN+ from Russia, junior middleweight prospect Magomed Kurbanov takes a big step up in competition against former titleholder Liam Smith in the 12-round main event.
Kurbanov, 25, has some high hopes, but he’s also not blown past everyone he’s faced so far; he had his troubles with Diego Chaves in 2019 and Ismail Iliev in 2020, and the 32-year-old Smith is a very solid pro, not way past his prime or anything, still a good fighter who has been underrated if anything for some time.
There are other fights set for the bill, too, but we’ll just list the five fights that are set for eight rounds or more. Of some note to someone, probably, is that Joel Julio will be back on this show. He’s fought just twice since 2014, and the now 36-year-old former hyped prospect is a full 15 years past the time he got his bubble burst pretty bad on HBO against Carlos Quintana.
Main Card (ESPN+, 11:00 am ET)
- Magomed Kurbanov (21-0, 13 KO) vs Liam Smith (29-2-1, 16 KO), junior middleweights, 12 rounds
- Eduard Skavynskyi (13-0, 7 KO) vs Joel Julio (39-5, 33 KO), welterweights, 10 rounds
- Evgenii Liashkov (8-1, 2 KO) vs Mukhammad Shekhov (8-0-1, 3 KO), junior featherweights, 10 rounds
- Enriko Gogokhia (12-0, 7 KO) vs Gustavo David Vittori (24-7-1, 12 KO), junior welterweights, 8 rounds
- Zafar Parpiev (9-2, 2 KO) vs Alphoe Dagayloan (14-4-6, 5 KO), junior bantamweights, 8 rounds